Tuesday, August 28, 2007

How to Show Respect

Here is the assignment...How would someone show respect in a class room (online/in-person or both)? you could also discuss how a person could be disrespectful.


***
Most people I believe would say that the corner stone of showing respect in the classroom, or any situation, is to follow the "Golden Rule", treat others the way you want to be treated.
I myself felt the same, until I was taught the "Platinum Rule", being, to treat others the way they want to be treated.
We all come from different places. Different backgrounds, education, social settings; so naturally we will have different view points, opinions and ways of expressing those opinions. Respect is shown not only by providing others the opportunity to express and explain their ideas, thoughts or questions. It is also shown by expressing your own in a way that allows others to understand your point of view without making them feel uncomfortable in anyway.
Naturally, because of the simple fact that we are all different we will not always agree. What shows respect to us as individuals will most likely differ.
The same goes for disrespect. Disrespect can come in the form of attitude, the use of language - offensive or even just a language barrier. Even attacking others because of their opinions or beliefs.
***
Now, first, this only the begining of my writing...not really sure what else I want to add at this point or how I want to go about continuing...but I WILL finish it..soon!

No comments: