Wednesday, July 11, 2007

If this is a dream...I would rather stay asleep...

So, a little quick FYI...when I was 18 - I was an idiot and screwed up my credit. I have been trying for the last year to get it all taken care of and have come across one struggle after another! It is stressful and exhausting! No matter what I did, I just kept falling even more behind and getting more buried in debt, please don't get me wrong - I am not thousands upon thousands in debt but it feels like it when I can't keep up with paying all of that off along with my current monthly bills, babysitters, food..you know, the stuff you need to survive!

Anyway, I NEEDED to get a small loan to just get a bunch paid off so that I could stop swimming in late fees and over limit fees and fees for fees...you know the drill, I of course could not obtain the loan by myself because of the past crap that I am trying to get paid with the loan! Make sense? So, I called my mom and asked her to co-sign, she was cool with that we have the same bank so they already had all her info and the bank called me back this morning and said that I was approved just needed to go in and fill out some paperwork.

The chick from the bank asked me if they could reach my mom at the same number they called her at yesterday - so I called her to warn her that they would be calling but I had no idea why, we figured that it was them probably telling her the same thing they told me but b/c she was going to co-sign they just wanted to call her also.

My parents separated a little over a year ago - my mom has struggled her entire adult life with finances (which is one of my main reasons for trying to get out from under it while I am still young enough to not get totally lost), she would give us (her kids) anything that we ever needed or asked for without ever second guessing it - she has co-signed for countless car loans and other things for myself and my brothers...the problem was that she herself was never able to be approved for those same things that she was able to co-sign for...it was really unfair for her...but she never complained...well, my mom just called me about 15 minutes ago...she says "I am so excited right now, I could cry" so, this being very unlike my mother of courses forces me to ask why (the response she was obviously waiting for)...well, the chick from the bank told her that the loan for me was approved and my mother so graciously thanked her, and then she says that they can see that for the last few years she has been doing great with all of the stuff that shows up on her credit reports...and they would like to offer her a line of credit....kind of like back up money should your checking account ever get screwed up...it you overdraft in anyway they will cover it and you don't get charged overdraft fees etc. (very cool!) but...that was not it they also offered her a pretty nice line of credit - are going to consolidate/pay off a few of her smaller credit cards and giver her a much lower interest rate (less than half of that she has now) and she will be left with more than half the credit they were extending to her remaining so she can actually go out and get herself something nice without feeling all guilty! It could not have come at a better time because her boss just asked her to fly out to MN (which she has to pay for up front and is then reimbursed for later from her work) but on such short notices in the summer her flights with corporate discounts end up costing over $1000 not including the car rental while she is there the hotels and everything else!

So....we both got great news today! I am so happy for her...she was only trying to help me and finally for once something worked out well for her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: